Featured Artist Header

Links to the artists featured in our header photo: Kathryn Newman Glass Art|| Holly's Folly || Prima Donna Beads|| Polychrome Beads||

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Glass Spacer Beads 11.24.13

Welcome to this month's Glass Spacer Bead extravaganza! All artisans will be posting pics that feature lampwork spacers today!

But before we get to our show, we're going to hang out and talk glass beads with artist Donna Conklin of Prima Donna Beads and instructor / owner of The Mandrel. As this post is all about lampwork spacers, let's take a look at some of Donna's:


Glass Beads Spacers by Donna Conklin

What do you make? What or you known for?
I make glass beads, and sometimes jewelry using my glass beads. I’m not sure that I am known for anything but I have been told that I definitely have a style. I’ve had people tell me they *know* my beads when they see them.

Do you ever space out at the torch? What do you think about / listen to / watch?
I try not to space out at the torch. I listen to my music player, I change up the play list a lot. Nothing specific… I like Pandora radio too. It’s how I learn about new-to-me music.


What was the Worst burn / cut you ever got??? How did it happen, where was it? Special treatment???
I gave myself a couple of nice 3rd degree burns, two in one year on the exact same spot on the back of my hand just above the knuckle near my index finger. The first time because I wasn’t aware of the radiant heat from the torch and the second was because I was torching when I was too tired and stuck the back of my hand in the flame. Both times I took care of it with ice and a triple antibiotic. I did go to the ER the second time but there were so many sick people in there, I was more afraid of what I might catch than actually dealing with the burn on my own.


What was the hardest skill for you to learn how did you overcome? Any tips to share?
Keeping long beads from cracking is still something I am learning. I have to remind myself every minute or so to give it insurance heat. One tip is, if you think you’ve waited too long you probably have. Give the torch a nice bushy flame and bring the bead to the tip and heat it up slowly while rotating, just like you would a shocky rod of 104.

My favorite things to wear are what I call my AGI beads or Aquarelle beads… My favorite piece right now is a wire wrapped necklace that I made a couple weeks ago… 5’9” long and over 4oz

You can find Donna at Prima Donna Beads. She has an Etsy shop as well and a Fan Page. If you are interested lampworking, check out The Mandrel or the Mandrel Fan Page.

Donna, thanks so much for hanging out with us on Space Out Sunday!

On to our spacer bead show:





No comments:

Post a Comment